Wednesday, May 12, 2010

'Some' poetry'

From time to time I'll copy my poetry into this space, swapping them out from time to time, adding a couple, taking a couple away.


Skipping Stone

I become a stone on water tossed
seven times proudly skipped
over liquid skin until… kerplunk
I sink into the pond settling
for a time at the bottom
until time and tide, currents and
seasons being what they are,


I wear down and particle-ize
into the water itself
picking up others melding with us,
washing over and under the land forever,
becoming part of something
greater than a stone or water
or tree or flesh or wing.


I become part of it all as it
becomes part of me until even I
can't see me for it, or see it for me,
if you catch my drift?

Isn't it all too obvious, this journey
taken with my permission and
against my will, seeking playmates
along the way to the end and the beginning?
What do they bring to this? Like me?
Hollow words, resounding forever
without a sound?


Or thundering energy so vast and small
it explodes everything without moving a cell?
No matter. We are here in any case,
and will be, and won't be,
makes no nevermind.




Cursing Autumn

I've gone so many miles it must be
autumn and late at that, the legs gone
from beneath me and sore back needful
of rest, it's probably not long 'til all the leaves
are gone and green no longer springs from dirt
moistened by angel's tears laughing.

The fall comes and I'm weary
my body heavy for a carrier of my soul.
What happened here yesterday ere I was young,
body coiled to spring for no reason
except to show the strength it possessed.
Youth wasted on youth again.

Thoughts labor from me slowly,
then escape too quickly to catch.
What a laugh I'd have at myself
were I younger than today,
watching me peer feebly at a past
that no one else can see.

It's autumn here amidst my breast.
In the darkness there's no sound,
no light, no smell, no time.
I bless the wings that bring my heart
to where I've been before.






Rebellion

The poet sat at the keys,
considered writing a poem,
but instead decided, “no,
I’ll do this instead!

I’ll tread water
and count the grains
of sand, and lean my head
to and fro for a while”

The poet refused the presence
of the muse for whom his disdain
had no limits.
“To hell with turbid splendor!” he said.

And then jacking himself in the eye,
because he was deserving,
he ripped open his chest
to look at his heart.

Holding it in his hands,
he laughed when it grayed
before his eyes and thumped so hard
it leapt from his fingers to his lips.

He screamed with joyous glee
when it spit at his face
and slapped him soundly
across his spirit.

“Dunno whether to keep this or not,”
he spewed, before slamming it back inside.
“Thump, thump,” it went, just to piss him off.
He sneered at the effrontery and gall.
“Who the hell do you think you are,
that you can get away with this?” he roared,
laughter boiling from his lips.
“No one,” came the answer clear.

He snorted and stomped his foot
upon ground rising up to smash him.
The sky dropped suddenly on him,
crushing his head beneath.

He rose, shook the dust from his shirt,
and spat at the earth below.
He didn’t give up easy, this poet.
There was too much left to do, perhaps even
a poem to write.




Mortality
A page, vacant in the morning
backlit through a window muddied
with feet splatters from drizzled paws
telling me I’ve much to do.


Two primordial oaks deceased outside
the glass, moribund limbs hanging by
no more than a thread, crashing silent now
and then, no one there to hear.


Each line of the poem so sluggish
to materialize and then only dimly
in the haze of a morning with no slumber
thinking, judging, what will I do.


Trash pulled hurriedly and chaotically
to the curb, some whose life continues
while others will be buried inside the earth
to nourish the reaper greedy.


A house quiet at the top of a hill,
latent and nestled within the trees,
breathing occasional as needed,
waiting for new life inside.


The old life there lights another smoke
and watches the gas escape his lungs
glancing uneasily from time to time
at the primordial oaks deceased outside.



Dickens

He sang softly to me as he left,
His breath coming shorter all the time,
His heart, always strong, swung open to me
As it had so many times before.
And all I have left is his soul.

When we first gathered him into our arms
To take him home, his plaintive bark echoed,
shattering thoughts of the pet we had in mind,
the one with the calm demeanor, the quiet and lazy way.
Dickens’ path was on another road, one we travel’d gladly.

As he grew, he imposed his will, not because he desired,
But because he was. Such a friend again I’ll not have.

I talked to him the whole night through,
Making him stay for my own sake.
He didn’t have to, he did it for me,
Giving me one last piece of his heart,
And all I have left is his soul.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Observer of the sublime chaos of humans and other living things. Curious about what people think and why, and the results of that thinking. Left to my own devices, I'd spend my 'curiosity time' studying this fascinating topic. I'm originally an Iowa native, have lived in Tucson, AZ, Los Angeles, a horrific time in Kentucky five minutes from Cincy, and now am in Chicago. Was a 'hippy' in the 'day' and have never lost the precepts of those times, because they were right. I sometimes satisfy my sweet tooth with chocolate chip cookie dough. I like champagne served with good chocolate and strawberries. I think broccoli is for anyone but me. Uncooked spinach in a salad, a huge YES, cooked spinach, absolutely not now, not ever. Dalmatians are my best pals. Single now but incomplete because I blundered in early life error. Having finally learned, better late than never! I wonder what life would be like if we were born with the wisdom we gain over decades of living! Finally, 'Pride Goeth Before the Fall'.